"Goals are dreams with deadlines" -- Diana Scharf

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Only Thing More Certain than Death and Taxes

...is having a bad driver's license picture.  Can anyone prove me wrong?  No?  Didn't think so. 

I've determined that everyone who gets a driver's license experiences the same reaction when they first see that holographic thumbnail image of themselves: "This can't be right.  Do I really look like that?  Something must be wrong with the camera." 

In my case, the license picture bears an uncanny resemblance to an American Girl doll.  Which is not quite as bad as looking like a zombie or a serial killer, but it's certainly undesirable when you're 27 and would like to be taken seriously. 

A few weeks ago, I got an aspirational hair cut.  You know, one of those styles that looks good on celebrities but never works in real life.  I had my hair cut like Anne Hathaway's character in The Devil Wears Prada.  I guess I thought that having blunt-cut bangs would make me look chic! sophisticated! edgy!  To be fair, my stylist did a really great job and I like the cut.  But I did not suddenly become super-elegant.  And there are moments when I look like an overgrown six-year-old.   My driver's license photo happens to be one such occurence. 

But the important thing is that I now have a new driver's license.  Never mind that it's been almost six months since I married Mr. W. 

I now have an official document identifying me as Mrs. J.W., and I couldn't be happier.   


No comments:

Post a Comment